WDI and its partners work together to define and develop unique and impactful projects for student internships. Students may work with for-profit partners, non-profit non-governmental organizations (NGOs), or entrepreneurial ventures. Internship projects are related to the five WDI initiatives: Healthcare, Scaling, Education, Performance Measurement, and Financial Sector development.
Past internship projects included expansion strategies, new business development, organizational assessment and development, impact assessment, market research, microfinance, pricing, and developing a social media marketing strategy.
WDI Interns working on a WDI-Initiated internship project receive a $10,000 fellowship and up to $1500 airfare reimbursement for round-trip direct international flights between Detroit and the internship base city. On a case by case basis, WDI partner organizations may provide free in-country housing as well.
Unless specifically noted, all internships are for 12 consecutive weeks.
For inquiries, please email WDI-Internships@umich.edu .
University of Michigan graduate students currently enrolled full-time in Master’s level programs and returning in Fall 2018 to complete their degree program for the 2018-19 academic year. Students graduating in May 2018 and part-time students are not eligible.
- Organization names will be posted on a rolling basis as they become available (“tentative status”) starting January 22. This will allow you to research the organization as we continue to finalize details with the organization.
- Detailed project descriptions will be posted the week of January 29
- Applications are due by noon Monday, February 12
- Shortlisted candidates will be interviewed in the following weeks
- Offers are expected to be extended around mid-March or earlier depending on each organization’s time frame
- Selected students are required to attend a mandatory orientation session. Date and time: TBD.
- Internships are for 12 consecutive weeks and are expected to occur any time from early-May to late-August 2018. The exact start/end-dates are discussed between the intern and the host organization.
To apply for the WDI-Initiated projects, submit the following by NOON on Monday February 12:
- Online Application (Link will be activated early February)
- A 2- to 3-page statement-of-interest. The statement should describe how your interests, skill set, and relevant experience will benefit the project or host organization, and also how the internship may impact your career path. Your statement of interest should have your name and email at the top of all pages. It can be single, 1.5, or double spaced to suit your needs to convey your interest and qualifications.
HOW TO SUBMIT YOUR APPLICATION PACKAGE
- Complete the online application form.
- Email your resume and statement-of-interest to WDI-Internships@umich.edu.
- In the subject field of your email, put “Your Last Name – Organization Name – 2018 WDI Internships”. Example “Smith – Gates Foundation – 2018 WDI Internships”.
- We recommend that you include your last name in your statement-of-interest filename. Example: Smith-Statement of Interest. This helps differentiate yours when reviewers are reading all the statements they receive. Your initials means a lot to you but not to others who have never met you. Help make it easy for the reviewers to remember you!
- Online applications which are NOT supported by a Resume and Statement-of-Interest are deemed incomplete and will not be considered. No reminders will be sent.
- Resumes and Statements-of-Interest which are NOT supported by an online application are also incomplete and will not be reviewed. No reminders will be sent.
Each project has its own distinct deliverables, which will be outlined in the Project Descriptions.
In addition to project deliverables to the host organization, interns are expected to submit three reports to WDI during their 3-month internship. Details and other requirements will be discussed at a mandatory orientation session.
Due to typical large numbers of applicants, we will not be able to contact or update each applicant about his/her application status. If you have not heard from us or our partner organization within a reasonable time frame (2 weeks or longer), you may send an email to WDI-Internships@umich.edu.