Summary: This entry-level, full-time position is available now and will contribute to WDI’s work in: (1) improving healthcare in low- and middle-income countries (LMICs) by supporting a portfolio of consulting and research projects; and (2) performance measurement and improvement by supporting the design and implementation of quantitative and qualitative impact studies. Although the role is based in our Ann Arbor, Michigan office, the successful candidate may be required to travel to LMICs multiple times per year; some evening and weekend work may be required.
About the Employer: Established at the University of Michigan (U-M) in 1992, the William Davidson Institute (WDI) is an independent, non-profit research and educational organization. Serving both profit-seeking and non-profit firms, WDI is guided by our founding principle that thriving businesses drive economic development and improve social welfare in LMICs. Our consulting work focuses on developing, adapting and applying sound business principles in four interrelated sectors necessary for a thriving economy: professional education, energy, healthcare and finance, in addition to offering performance measurement and improvement services that span these sectors. Our training programs harness the latest innovations in education, providing world-class management training opportunities for the global leaders of today and tomorrow. With a unique blend of field-based experience and academic rigor, WDI works to build stronger economies and healthier societies.
The WDI’s Healthcare Sector team focuses on providing consulting services to health related organizations currently operating or interested in operating in one or more LMIC. Our clients are for-profit and not-for-profit organizations, and include national and multinational organizations. Projects range from providing strategic recommendations to providing detailed operational recommendations. Although we often have projects focused on a specific area along the healthcare value chain (e.g., healthcare delivery, procurement & supply chain), our overarching interest is in projects where we believe we can leverage basic business principles, the expertise within the University and our experience & relationships within these markets, to serve our clients. Learn more about WDI’s Healthcare efforts here.
The Successful Candidate May Be Involved in Performing the Following Tasks:
- Collect and analyze both quantitative and qualitative data in service of helping to address challenges faced by WDI clients including: build quantitative models, simulations, and business-oriented statistical analysis tools; implement and coordinate the collection of qualitative and quantitative field data; perform sample size calculations and assist in developing research designs
- Perform desk and field research specific to the needs to WDI clients. This may include activities such as perform literature searches; conduct stakeholder interviews; work with subject matter experts within WDI and the University of Michigan (U-M), as well as externally
- Help to produce project deliverables that are tailored to the needs and wants of our clients
- Regularly use discretion and independent judgment to: (a) manage external subcontractor budget on behalf of WDI, and (b) provide technical oversight and (c) ensure satisfactory completion of technical deliverables on behalf of WDI
- Build and maintain productive working relationships with external parties, partners, etc., to further WDI organizational goals and ensure positive business outcomes:
- Coordinate stakeholder and knowledge exchange
- Make presentations of findings to funders and country level stakeholders, etc.
- Succinctly convey technical and quantitative information to a range of audiences, in technical, policy, and business environments
- Participate in the short-term and long-term work planning for project management of healthcare work for proposals, work plans, and re-planning and re-budgeting to include:
- Support internal team coordination on project management related to staffing, financial utilization, and portfolio pipeline tracking
- Set clear project scope, priorities, and deliverables
- Develop and managing project budgets and timelines
- Manage performance of sub-contracted workstreams
Required Candidate Qualifications:
- Undergraduate degree in economics, science, engineering or business related field (e.g., supply chain management)
- Minimum one (1) year relevant experience in representative duties listed above
- Academic, volunteer or work experience conducting data and statistical analysis of both quantitative and qualitative data
- Proven proficiency in managing large data sets, cleaning and organizing data sets, and able to provide reports in a clear and organized manner
- Superior verbal and written English communication skills, presentation skills, analytical/critical thinking skills, successful interpersonal skills
- Committed to delivering high-value work, demonstrated ability to pay exceptional attention to details while managing multiple tasks efficiently
- Self-motivation, flexibility, and able to collaborate and contribute as a team member
- Diplomacy, tact and demonstrated awareness and sensitivity to multicultural issues with ability to conduct business with a professional demeanor at all times
- Possess an unexpired passport for international travel, and ability to travel via airplane and other modes of transportation both domestically and to LMICs
- Proficiency in MS Office Suite, including PowerPoint, and an expert skill level in Excel
- Must currently be authorized for WDI employment in the United States
Preferred Candidate Qualifications:
- Any experience (volunteer or paid) in global healthcare, global pharmaceutical markets, international development, market or data analysis, etc.
- Fluency in a foreign language spoken in LMICs, preferably French or Spanish
- Experience living in an LMIC (to study, work, or volunteer in PeaceCorps, etc.)
- Experience in design and methodology of both survey and interview questionnaires
- Proficiency in NVivo or similar qualitative coding software
- Have a basic understanding of international development issues related to rapid changes taking place in global healthcare markets
Compensation & Benefits:
This position is eligible for WDI Employee benefits (a generous package including access to medical, dental, vision, life insurance; retirement with 10% contribution from employer, and paid time off). Details and compensation will be shared with those offered an in-person interview.
How to Apply:
Click on “Apply Now” button to complete an online application form. Upload your resume or C.V. (under 4MB) and your brief cover letter which will auto-fill many application fields. WDI will accept applications as long as this job posting remains on this webpage. Applications may be reviewed upon receipt.