Summary: This full-time, senior position will develop intellectual capital, disseminate information, and engage academics and practitioners in developing the private sector within healthcare in low- and middle-income countries (LMICs). Although this role is based in our Ann Arbor, Michigan office, it will require multiple trips internationally each year.
About the Employer: Established at the University of Michigan in 1992, the William Davidson Institute (“WDI”) is an independent, non-profit research and educational organization. Serving both profit-seeking and non-profit firms, WDI is guided by our founding principle that thriving businesses drive economic development and improve social welfare in LMICs. Our consulting work focuses on developing, adapting and applying sound business principles in four interrelated sectors necessary for a thriving economy: professional education, energy, healthcare and finance, in addition to offering performance measurement and improvement services that span these sectors. Our training programs harness the latest innovations in education, providing world-class management training opportunities for the global leaders of today and tomorrow. With a unique blend of field-based experience and academic rigor, WDI works to build stronger economies and healthier societies.
The WDI’s Healthcare Sector team focuses on providing consulting services to health related organizations currently operating or interested in operating in one or more LMIC. Our clients are for-profit and not-for-profit organizations, and include national and multinational organizations. Projects range from providing strategic recommendations to providing detailed operational recommendations. Although we often have projects focused on a specific area along the healthcare value chain (e.g., healthcare delivery, procurement & supply chain), our overarching interest is in projects where we believe we can leverage basic business principles, the expertise within the University and our experience & relationships within these markets, to serve our clients.
The Successful Candidate May Be Involved in Performing the Following Tasks:
- Serve as the principal on one or more projects that support the mission and strategy of WDI’s Healthcare sector
- Work as an individual or team member to carry out the work required to meet the objectives of clients which could include: creating or co-creating project work plans, coordinating with internal and external stakeholders, conducting primary and secondary research, developing data collection tools (both quantitative and qualitative), in-country data collection, developing Excel-based models, drafting interim and final reports, presenting final results
- Deliver original thought, high quality work to clients on-time and on-budget
- Draft concept notes and proposals to secure project funding from outside sources
- Develop and maintain strong business relationships with potential clients operating in LMICs
- PhD in a business, science or engineering related field
- 5+ years of relevant paid experience working in health-related field OR experience working in the field in one or more LMIC
- Ability to effectively communicate advanced analytical and conceptual ideas and findings to different audiences, both technical and non-technical, verbally and written English
- High level of proficiency with quantitative analyses
- High level of proficiency in MS Word, PowerPoint and Excel
- Ability to design and build Excel-based models
- Ability to prioritize multiple projects based on client deadlines
- Ability to develop new business opportunities for the Healthcare team
- Demonstrated ability to work collaboratively
- Demonstrated ability to work in high pressure situations involving rapidly changing environment
- Demonstrated passion for international economic development and healthcare
- Possess an unexpired passport for travel to international destinations, and ability to travel via airplane and other modes of transportation domestically and to LMICs on multiple trips annually alone; able to conduct business travel approximately 10-25% per year.
- Must currently be authorized for WDI employment in the United States
- Both 5+ years of relevant paid experience working in health-related field AND experience working in the field in one or more LMIC.
- Experience working as a management consultant
- Prior experience working with global health organizations (e.g., World Health Organization, World Bank, USAID, The Global Fund, Gavi) and/or similarly-focused NGOs
- Proficiency in languages common to LMICs is desired; French or Spanish is preferred
- Successful experience writing proposals to potential funders (private/public) to acquire funding of projects (especially internationally-focused research, etc.)
- Extremely high level of proficiency in Excel (e.g., ability to write macros)
Compensation & Benefits:
This position is eligible for WDI Employee benefits (a generous package including access to medical, dental, vision, life insurance; retirement with 10% contribution from employer, and paid time off). Details and compensation will be shared with those offered an in-person interview.
How to Apply:
Click on “Apply Now” button to complete an online application form. Upload your resume or C.V. (under 4MB) and your brief cover letter to auto-fill fields. WDI will accept applications as long as this job posting remains on this webpage. Applications may be reviewed upon receipt.